This case takes place in Utah and involves the distribution channels of several major manufacturers of eyeglass components, and how they work with both big box stores and eye care professionals. Allegedly, the collection of eyeglass manufacturers imposed an artificial price floor on eye care professionals and other large retailers in order to artificially increase their profits at the expense of both retailers and consumers. The attorneys working on this case required an expert with extensive experience in the eyeglass industry to comment on pricing standards and distribution networks used by eyeglass manufacturers to get their products to market.
Question(s) For Expert Witness
- 1. Do you have specific knowledge of the distribution channels?
- 2. Are you familiar how these channels work with big box stores and eye care professionals?
- 3. Do you have experience working on similar cases/projects?
- 4. Do you have an idea of the prices for different brands of eyeglasses?
- 5. Do you have knowledge of the system by which eye care professionals prescribe contact lenses?
Expert Witness Response E-015244
Yes, I have extensive experience in the eyeglass industry, having held positions with both manufacturers and retailers, where I was tasked with procurement for large retail stores. I have worked on several similar cases related to the eyeglass industry, including antitrust litigation, and I have also been an expert for a major online eyeglass retailer in an intellectual property dispute with one of their most significant competitors. I have significant litigation experience, having performed case reviews, depositions, and trial testimony. Based on my review of the materials provided in this case, it seems likely that there may have been some degree of collusion between these manufacturers to artificially influence the prices paid by consumers and retailers for their products.