This case involves a 43-year-old opera singer in New York with no previous medical history of asthma. The singer unknowingly moved to an apartment that was contaminated with mold and lived there for 15 months. As a result of living in this apartment, the singer began to suffer from allergies and asthma. The singer complained to the landlord about the issue, however, no action was taken to rectify the condition of the apartment. It was later discovered that this apartment building had 8 documented cases of mold from air quality and mold companies but the contamination source was never identified or fixed. The opera singer continues to suffer complications from mold exposure, including severe allergies and asthma, which have affected her performance in her career.
Question(s) For Expert Witness
- 1. Please describe your experience treating patients that have been exposed to allergens such as mold?
- 2. What health complications can arise from extensive exposure to mold over a long period of time?
Expert Witness Response E-008605
I am board certified in internal medicine, critical care medicine, and pulmonary disease. As a practicing pulmonologist and the director of the pulmonary consult service at a major university, I have expertise in treating patients with lung disease due to mold exposure, especially those who have developed hypersensitivity pneumonitis. I also frequently treat patients with asthma and allergies. Mold can cause respiratory symptoms. It can cause hypersensitivity pneumonitis, or exacerbate asthma in patients with asthma.