Pediatric Gastroenterologist Evaluates Lead Poisoning Caused by Lead Paint Exposure


Pediatrics Expert WitnessThis case involves a number of children who were exposed to lead based paint during their time living in an apartment complex, all of whom have subsequently suffered from developmental problems. The apartment had undergone several coatings of lead based paint other the years and all of the affected children lived in the same building over a certain period of their life. They all suffered injuries including permanent brain damage resulting in learning and mental disabilities. All of the children were exposed to deteriorating lead based paint during their residence. They were all approximately 4-5 years old when they were first exposed, with blood testing providing confirmation of elevated lead levels. The plaintiffs alleged that the defendants were substantial contributors to the elevated blood lead levels, lead poisoning, and resulting injury of the children.

Question(s) For Expert Witness

  • 1. Please discuss your background in pediatric lead poisoning.
  • 2. Have you ever written on the subject?

Expert Witness Response E-008210

Expert-ID: E-008210

I am pediatrician by training, but I am also a board-certified pediatric gastroenterologist. I have not written on the subject, however, as pediatric gastroenterologist I have been involved in various ingestion and exposure cases over the years. As pediatric gastroenterologist, I am at the front line of toxic and non-toxic ingestions dealing with emergent ingestions, as well as their later complications. Since introduction of lead-free paint and coatings, the occurrence of toxic lead ingestion has dramatically declined, but because it is still a part of ingestion umbrella, lead-based paint ingestion incidents make up the majority of paint-related ingestion cases that I treat. Furthermore, I am director of the pediatric endoscopy unit at my hospital, which is where all pediatric ingestion cases eventually end up.

RELATED EXPERT WITNESSES

Post Tags