Brazilian Wax Explodes From Container, Leaving 24-Year-Old Female Severely Burned


This case involves a 24-year-old female who was severely burned by Brazilian wax. The plaintiff purchased a waxing and shaping kit, featuring a Brazilian formula that required the wax to be heated in the microwave. After warming the wax in the microwave exactly as the instructions had stated, the plaintiff removed the wax from her microwave and the container’s top burst off, covering large parts of her body. She suffered significant burns on her arms, face, and chest as a result of this incident. The plaintiff retained an explosives expert witness for the case.

Question(s) For Expert Witness

  • 1. Was the consumer wax product negligently packaged or produced?
  • 2. Is it possible that the instructions/warning labels were inadequate?
  • 3. How familiar are you with this product or similar products?

Expert Witness Response E-004804

For chemical incidents, especially those involving cosmetic burns, the adequacy of the warning labels and material safety data sheets, chemical reactivity both systemically and in the environment, food contamination, and allocation of environmental impact all can play a role in the circumstances of the case. With a doctorate in chemistry and over 40 years of experience working in the chemical industry, I have investigated over a hundred toxic chemical incidents and given testimony in numerous toxic tort cases. I’ve been involved with packaging related issues and its likely that this product was inadequately packaged, and wasn’t best suited for high temperature microwave heating.

RELATED EXPERT WITNESSES

Post Tags